There are many factors to consider when determining whether to hire a digital marketing agency or set up an in-house agency. These factors include expertise, perspective, capacity, cost, relevance, stability, and results.
Let’s examine each of these elements in more detail to see if hiring a digital marketing agency is the right decision for your business.
- Expertise: The digital marketing landscape is complicated. With so many tactics available—including website design and website development, search engine optimization (SEO), social media marketing, email marketing, pay-per-click advertising, digital strategy, and data analytics, to name a few—it is virtually impossible to assemble an in-house team with all the skills to effectively implement your digital marketing campaign. Hiring an agency gives your business access to a team of skilled, knowledgeable digital marketing experts.
- Perspective: A good digital marketing partner will bring a new and necessary additional set of eyes to your marketing plan. Your agency should enhance and elevate your good ideas and not be afraid to challenge your not-so-good ideas.
- Capacity: In today’s business environment, in which everyone is asked to wear multiple hats and meet ever-shrinking deadlines, having the in-house capacity to get everything done can be a real challenge. Hiring an agency to spearhead your digital marketing efforts frees up your team to focus on what they do best.
- Cost: At first glance, hiring a marketing agency might seem expensive. But when you step back and consider the breadth and depth of expertise that your business is receiving, you realize that it is actually a wise investment. Compared to the cost of hiring a fully in-house digital marketing team, the cost of an agency partner is quite low.
- Relevance: Digital marketing changes frequently. New platforms and methods of communication are being introduced all the time. And best practices for existing platforms are continually evolving. Trying to keep track of it all could be a full-time job all by itself. Let your agency partner keep track of this for you, and you can rest easy at night knowing that your company’s digital marketing meets current industry standards.
- Stability: Let’s say that you have a strong in-house marketing team. What happens when a member of your staff leaves? If your SEO expert accepts a position with another company, that knowledge and expertise leaves, too. With an agency relationship, that concern disappears. Good agencies have multiple team members who are well-versed in the various aspects of digital marketing, so your campaign never misses a beat.
- Results: Too often overlooked, your digital marketing agency should be highly motivated to provide and report on results. After all, the best way to build and maintain a long-term partnership is to demonstrate value and provide a positive return on investment for your marketing dollars.
Choosing whether to hire a digital marketing agency or to handle things in-house is a large and important decision. A great first step in determining which option is right for your business is to have a conversation about your goals. Click here to learn more about how Timmermann Group can help your business succeed.